office of residential education

Residential Education Services and Policies

At Colby-Sawyer College we work to create a positive living environment by selecting and training an outstanding group of student leaders (resident assistants), by providing experienced professional staff, and by establishing and publishing the basic group-living ground rules that appear in this handbook. The purpose of these ground rules is to foster an environment which encourages positive risk-taking and academic exploration and reinforces responsibility for self and respect for others. At Colby-Sawyer College, we strive to be a community where our differences are respected and where we also find and celebrate our common bonds.

Jump to a section on this page

Apartment Inspections

Residents in Rooke Hall are responsible for cleaning all areas inside their apartments. Apartment inspections will be held on a regular basis, usually during college break periods, to confirm that residents are maintaining reasonable sanitary conditions, reporting damage and maintenance problems, and adhering to all fire safety policies. If the conditions in an apartment are found to be unacceptable, residents will receive a notice of the problems requesting that they be remedied, and a follow-up inspection will be scheduled. Failure to maintain reasonable standards of cleanliness may result in removal from Rooke Hall, or from campus housing.

Return to top of page


Restrictions are placed on appliances and extension cords for safety reasons. Residence hall rooms, with the exception of Rooke and Danforth cooking areas, are not built for cooking purposes. The circuitry will not safely handle the increased electrical load for most cooking, heating, and cooling appliances. Additionally, appliances with exposed heating elements such as toasters and hot pots may ignite food or flammable objects.

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Appliances/Extension Cords policy (page 10).

Return to top of page

Courtesy/Quiet Hours

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Noise/Courtesy/Quiet Hours policy (page 20).

Return to top of page

Damage and Vandalism

Students are expected to maintain their assigned rooms, furnishings, and residence hall public areas in the same condition in which they were found.

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Damage and Vandalism policy (page 5).

Return to top of page

Decorations and Displays

As with appliances, decorations can be fire safety hazards. This regulation exists to protect residents from fires and to allow safe and unhindered exits should there be a fire. Be mindful of your decorations, their flammability, and where you place them.

Decorations such as candles, incense and incense burners could easily start a fire. Decorations hung from sprinklers, pipes, and smoke detectors could interfere with fire control devices. Decorations hung from the ceiling or blocking the exit could seriously hinder your exit should there be a fire in your room.

No decorations or displays may be exhibited on the exterior of residence halls (i.e., hanging out of windows).

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Decorations and Displays policy (page 11).

Return to top of page


Safety and security is of paramount importance at Colby-Sawyer.

Students are responsible for keeping their doors locked at all times. Students should not prop locked doors or use doors with alarms except for emergency exits. It is the responsibility of all residents to maintain building security. Propping doors, losing or lending an outside door key, and/or allowing unmonitored access to non-residents who are not a student's own guests compromises the security of all residents and violates the Code of Community Responsibility. No writing or painting is allowed on or around student room doors.

Return to top of page

Fire Safety

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Fire Safety, Evacuation, and Inspections policy (page 10).

Return to top of page


Residence hall room furniture cannot be moved from room to room. Each time the furniture is moved, it risks damage. Additionally, the College needs to have an accurate account of the amount and placement of its furniture.

All residence hall rooms are furnished with a bed and mattress, desk, desk chair, and dresser for each resident. Students who would like to have their furniture removed from their room must contact their RAs, who will initiate a work order. Students must keep the furniture in the room until Facilities is able to remove it.

No furniture will be removed from hallways, bathrooms, or living rooms. If necessary, residence hall staff will conduct room inspections to identify the origin of a piece of furniture left in a hallway or common area.

Students are responsible for having all furniture in their rooms, assembled, and in check-in condition when they check out of the room. Students will be billed at replacement costs for any damage to furniture. College-owned furniture should not be taken outside the residence halls. Common area furnishings must remain in the assigned common area.

Return to top of page


Hosting guests is a privilege and comes with responsibility. Residents must obtain permission from roommates prior to arranging guest visits. Guests must be informed about our policies and procedures. Hosts are responsible for ensuring guests abide by our policies.

Due to the disruption to the community that extended overnight visits provide, they must be approved in advance by Resident Directors. Remember, guests must register with a Residence Hall Staff member or Campus Safety when they arrive.

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Guests policy (page 12).

Return to top of page

Keys/Swipe Cards

The locks on room doors are there for the residents' protection. In order to protect your property and your roommate's property, keys should not be transferred or loaned to any other person.

Report lost keys or swipe cards immediately to Residence Hall Staff. Please contact Campus Safety if your key or swipe card does not work.

Return to top of page


The residence halls are closed during normal College vacations and are not staffed.

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Occupancy, Trespassing policy (page 21).

Return to top of page

Personal Loss/Theft

The college is not responsible for loss, including theft, vandalism, fire, damage, or acts of nature (e.g. flood, ice, etc.) to personal belongings. Residents are strongly advised to make sure that a personal or family insurance policy covers the loss of personal belongings at college, or to obtain private insurance coverage for personal possessions. Maintenance of an inventory of belongings and serial numbers is advisable through Campus Safety's Operation Engrave. The college provides locks on room and residence hall doors and keys to each resident. Residents are responsible for keeping rooms locked. In the majority of cases where thefts occur, rooms are unoccupied and doors are left unlocked.

In the event of a loss by theft, the matter should be reported immediately to Campus Safety. Thefts occurring in the residence hall should also be reported to the RD.

Return to top of page

Pets in Residence Halls

Students are only permitted to have fish as pets. Student space is communal by design, and communal living environments are not conducive to the care of a pet.

Fellow residents may have allergies which are aggravated by some pets. Additionally, it is not humane to keep some pets in such a confined space.

Return to top of page

Refund of Housing Fee

The Residence Hall Room Lease and Board Contract may be canceled by the student on or before July 1, without penalty, if the student is not a first or second year student. After July 1, the student is committed to paying the full cost of room and board for the year. First and second year students are required to live on campus.

Return to top of page

Residency Requirement/Residency Eligibility

Colby-Sawyer College provides housing for traditional-aged students. Beginning in the fall of 2014, all incoming students will be required to live on campus for both their first and second years. Petition for an exception to this policy may be made in writing prior to July 1 or December 1, or within two weeks of college acceptance (whichever is later) to the vice president for enrollment management. Exceptions may be granted for students living within a thirty mile radius of Colby-Sawyer College who are commuting from home, or for other extenuating circumstances.

Return to top of page

Room Lease and Board Contract

It is the right of each student assigned by the college to occupy the room with only those other students assigned by the college. Each resident is required to sign a Room Lease and Board Contract which is for the full academic year (fall and spring semesters).

Click here to view the Residence Hall Room Lease and Board Contract.

Return to top of page

Room Changes

Students are assigned a room for the entire academic year unless a room change is approved, in writing, by the director of residential education, or designee. Room changes are not allowed during the first two weeks of the semester except for some waiting list assignments for returning students. A student who wishes to change rooms should begin the room change process by discussing the matter with roommate(s); then with the appropriate resident assistant and/or resident director. Students should expect to participate in mediation and show a good faith effort to resolve conflicts with roommates before a room change will be approved.

Students residing in rooms with open spaces should anticipate having a new roommate placed at any time throughout the year. A full set of furniture must be empty and available for a prospective roommate. Students are expected to create a welcoming environment for new roommates. If a student is made to feel unwelcome in a new housing situation, or is pressured to move out or to refrain from moving in by the current resident, the current resident will be required to find alternative housing.

Return to top of page

Smoking on Campus

All buildings and facilities on the Colby-Sawyer College Campus are smoke-free environments.

Please refer to the Code of Community Responsibility for specific information regarding the Smoking policy (page 23).

Return to top of page

Social Function Registration

The social function registration form should be used to register functions in residence halls in which alcohol will be present.

Please refer to the Social Function Registration policy for more information.

Return to top of page


The College will not offering summer storage for student belongings.

Return to top of page

Telephone Service

A telephone with dial tone is provided in all student rooms. Long distance and voice mail services are not provided by the college. Calling card, toll-free calls (800 numbers), and 911 emergency calls are accessible from your room phone. For problems with your phone or phone service please contact the Helpdesk at x3800 or email.

Return to top of page