burpee hall

Burpee Hall is alive with the sound of music and energetic social interaction. Just inside the entrance is a spacious lounge with cable TV. From art majors to athletes, everyone has their door open - when the studying is done, there's always a neighbor with whom to chat.

Features

The ground floor is all female, the first floor is co-ed by section, and the second and third floors are co-ed by room. The hall is located right on the quad with easy access to Colgate Hall, Ware Campus Center and the athletic center. Right in front of the hall is a seasonal volleyball court.

Staffing

Burpee is staffed by one Resident Director and three Resident Assistants.

History

Perley Burpee, a shoemaker and farmer who married Judith Colby, sister of Governor Anthony Colby, was among the 11 men who procured the original charter for Colby Academy in 1837. The home he built in 1816 still stands on Main Street, one block east of the campus. His grandchildren, Wilfred E. Burpee, Class of 1882, and Mary Burpee Macomber, Class of 1885, served as trustees from 1907-1948 and from 1905-1952, respectively. Erected wing by wing over three years, Burpee Hall housed the library collection until 1949.