code of community responsibility

Appliances/Extension Cords

It is impossible to list all of the electrical appliances that can be dangerous, but, in general, any appliance is prohibited if it is rated over 1200 watts or 15 amps or if it has an exposed heating element.

The following electrical appliances can be dangerous and are not allowed in student rooms for either storage or use:

  • cooking units such as toasters, toaster ovens, grills, coffee pots, hot pots, immersion heaters, hot plates, or any appliance with an exposed burner (including popcorn poppers that do not have a self-contained heating unit);

  • heating or cooling units (air conditioners, space heaters, etc.); and

  • halogen lamps, sun lamps;

Any appliance or combination of appliances that overloads circuits is not allowed. Multiple unit extension cords must have a built-in circuit breaker. Octopus plugs and overloaded extension cords are prohibited. Extension cords cannot be run under a rug or behind flammable material. If you have questions about a specific appliance, ask the resident director.

Irons may be stored in student rooms, but must be used only in the laundry rooms. Students may store and use cooking units in the residence hall kitchens providing the equipment is used responsibly, kept clean and unplugged after use. Any electrical appliance must be in good repair, and care must be taken in its use to avoid overloading circuits or creating a fire hazard.


Policy revised July 2013 by the vice president for student development and dean of students and the associate dean of students and director of citizenship education.

Rationale
  • Though the college respects a student's free expression and right to decorate the student's room, we must balance that with the higher priority of student safety.

  • In order to protect us and our buildings and property, safety equipment must be maintained and evacuation procedures followed properly.

Values
  • Interconnectedness
  • Stewardship