apply for student visa

How to receive an I-20

Once you have sent in your deposit to Colby-Sawyer College, the next step is to show documentation regarding your financial ability to study in the United States. The financial certification process can be time consuming since students need to compile evidence of guaranteed funding, often from several different sources. The I-20 Form and Certification of Finances Form must demonstrate your ability to pay for the balance as stated in your financial aid award letter or your tuition statement, plus additional spending for books, supplies and required health insurance. Please read and fill out the following forms and return them to

I-20 for 2014-2015 form will be available soon.

Paying the SEVIS Fee

Your I-20 Form is created by International Admissions using the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). All new students coming in F-1 status must pay a $200.00 SEVIS fee (I-901 Form) prior to applying for your visa. The SEVIS fee must be paid at least three days prior to submitting the application for a U.S. visa. To pay the fee on-line, go to Complete the I-901 Form supplying the necessary information. Be certain that your name appears exactly as it appears on the I-20 form. Your SEVIS ID# is the number which begins with N000 located in the upper right hand corner of the I-20 form. The SEVIS School Code is: BOS 214 F 00385000 which is also found on your I-20 Form. Obtain a copy of the receipt (I-797) and bring this to the consulate.

How to Apply for the F-1 Student Visa

You must apply for your visa well in advance of your arrival, as it can in some instances take several weeks, and occasionally longer, to obtain the student visa. To apply for a U.S. student visa, you will need to present the following documents at the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you:

  • Your Form I-20 (Sent to you from International Admissions at Colby-Sawyer)

  • The SEVIS Fee receipt (I-797)

  • A copy of your supporting financial documents, i.e. evidence of sufficient funds to meet the expenses of studying in the U.S.

  • A valid passport

  • Passport – size photographs

  • Completed visa application forms

There have been (and continue to be) changes in the visa application process and these changes are usually reflected on the consular Web sites. Find a U.S. Embassy or nearest consulate to determine your specific visa application process:

Connect with International Student Services for your transition to life as a Colby-Sawyer student.